A very special thanks to my friends at HoneyBaked Ham for sponsoring this post and treating us to awesome celebration foods!
Today, I’m sharing My Recipe for a Successful Easter Celebration….
Several years ago, as Easter approached, my husband and I began thinking about the day. We have always enjoyed celebrating holidays but we really wanted to begin making Easter very special and on the same level as Christmas.
At Christmas we emphasize the birth of Christ, which is of great importance. At Easter, we focus on the resurrection of Christ, the basis for everything we as a Christian family believe. This led us to make the decision to celebrate Easter in a big way.
In case this is your first time here, “celebrating” here means two things…..People and Food….usually lots of both!
The first few years after we started doing this we would plan ahead and invite friends from church to come to our home, have lunch with us and spend the afternoon. Along with the planned guests there would usually be the spur of the moment invites. These were folks we’d be talking with at church and find out they didn’t have any special plans so we’d invite them to come home with us, and they always would. It was a wonderful time.
Now, my husband is a pastor and we have a very close church family. Our home isn’t big enough to have everyone for a meal so some years we have a HUGE Easter celebration at church. We enjoy the “traditional” Easter dinner, ham and all the sides, but we don’t have our own building so there’s no kitchen.
As much as I love to plan and prepare events I realized I need help. My solution…….HoneyBaked Ham and each family bringing a side or dessert.
I love getting the HoneyBaked Ham! It’s perfect no matter how large or small your gathering. When preparing for our whole church we purchase a Whole Ham (usually the largest one they have) and a Smoked Turkey Breast.
If we’re celebrating at home we choose the boneless quarter ham and smoked turkey breasts. Right now they have a special Easter deal AND a coupon.
HoneyBaked Ham has always been a treat for our family. I can make ham but honestly, HoneyBaked is better so we enjoy having it for holidays. We also love the smoked turkey! And it’s Gluten-Free for those who require that option.
Allowing HoneyBaked Ham to prepare the meat and friends to help with the sides gives me a chance to focus on other things, like decorations. Beautiful food needs a beautiful table and it can be simple.
My go-to table is a solid color table cloth, a simple vase of seasonal, fresh flowers and lots and lots of amazing food in lovely dishes. I’m big on matching colors so I often try to match the color of my napkins with the centerpiece flowers.
At home, I’m not a big fan of paper plates but sometimes large celebrations require them. Ideally, I like to match them in color or pattern with the rest of the decor, but usually end up opting for a good sturdy large plate that holds lots of food.
Here’s My Recipe for a Successful Easter Celebration:
A couple of weeks before:
- Make a list of everything you need to do and purchase along with things needed to bring from home (serving platters, utensil etc)
- Call ahead or order online HoneyBaked Ham with COUPON
- Get together (email, call, etc) other ladies and decide what side dish or dessert each will bring, otherwise you may end up with 14 dishes of green beans and no potato salad
- Decide on table decor – remember simple can be beautiful
- Purchase paper products if necessary
- Purchase anything needed for the side dish you are bringing (or plan to pick one up at HoneyBaked)
- Plan to have some take-home containers on hand for sharing left overs
Two or Three Days Before:
- Pick up HoneyBaked Ham – (and side or dessert) they last several days so it helps avoid stress to have it in advance
- Purchase fresh flowers for centerpieces – timing depends on choice of flowers
- Double check list and make last minute purchases
Saturday before Easter (If Possible):
- Set Tables – table cloths, napkins, silverware, centerpieces…etc
- Do any other set up needed
- Double check list one more time for last minute needs
- Put the food on the table
- Above all, focus on the Resurrection of Christ and the reason for celebration!
This is My Recipe for a Successful Easter Celebration….
What about you?
Follow on Facebook for all the latest news and deals!