For almost three years our family traveled all over the country visiting churches and representing the mission agency my husband works with. That meant many things…seeing much of God’s amazing creations in nature, meeting wonderful people, experiencing new things and staying at A LOT of hotels. Thankfully, we like staying at hotels and our favorite ones include a FREE breakfast. For a while we went crazy for those waffles you make yourself, then we moved on to pastries or cereal. All of us except our son, once he discovered Breakfast Pizza, that was it!
At one hotel they had what he called “Breakfast Pizza”. I don’t remember if they actually called it that. He was only about five or six and that’s what it looked like to him. He has always been our big breakfast eater so this was right up his alley, several foods he loved all rolled into one. From that day on, every time we would go to the lobby for breakfast he would always ask, “Do they have breakfast pizza?” He began to ask for it home too, so I figured out how to make it.
Here’s the Recipe:
- 1 bagel - plain, sesame seed or wheat work well
- 1 egg
- 1 piece of bacon
- 2 tablespoons cheese - cheddar or Mexican work well
- Cook bacon in microwave
- While bacon in cooking, scramble egg
- Cut bagel in half
- Sprinkle just enough cheese on bagel for egg and bacon to "stick"
- Top both halves of bagel with scrambled egg
- Crumble bacon and place on top of egg
- Sprinkle on remaining cheese
- Broil until cheese is melted
- Sausage could be used instead of bacon
- To save time in the morning, bacon and egg could be cooked the night before and kept in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Our traveling days are over now and there are things we miss, but breakfast pizza is not one of them!
Today I am linking with Saturday Dishes Link Party hosted by Tumbleweed Contessa at Recipes and Ramblings