Cinco De Mayo
What is Cinco De Mayo, anyway?
History.com says, “Cinco de Mayo—or the fifth of May—commemorates the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867). A relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican-American populations.”
Wikipedia says, “In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army‘s unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico’s Independence Day—the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16.”
So, I supposed for people who are not of Hispanic descent it’s just a great reason to celebrate Mexican Food! Ok, that works for me! I’m not sure there’s any food I love more than “Mexican”….or Tex-Mex.
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, let’s Celebrate with some Mexican Food!
- Possibly the best way to start off a Mexican meal (or any meal really) is with some good ol’ homemade Tortilla Chips and Salsa…aka the Official Snack of the State of Texas.
- If you don’t have time for homemade, I have the perfect solution…Salsa in a Snap!
- A quick and easy, take anywhere appetizer or party dish is Walking Taco Salad
- Chicken or Chorizo Quesadillas make a great snack or addition to any Mexican Dinner…also probably my FAVORITE way to use up left overs!
- These cook-all-day Carnitas make a delicious main course! We love it wrapped in a warm tortilla with a little cheese, cilantro and lime juice.
- Enchiladas are a Mexican restaurant “staple”. The Chicken used to stuff them can also be used for Chicken Tacos.
- Last by not least, Authentic Mexican Rice! Really, it is close. I’ve been to Mexico and eaten the rice. I don’t use the term “authentic” about most of my “Mexican” dishes, but this one really is. If you added some green peas and carrots it would be just like the real thing.
We’ll be eating Mexican food tonight…what about you?
This post linked at Freedom Fridays, What’d You Do This Weekend?, Pin It Monday, Bloggers Brag, Inspire Me Monday, Bewitch Me, The Yuck Stops Here